With Winter Coming Be Aware of Carbon Monoxide Dangers
October 24th, 2013
"Carbon monoxide poisoning is deadly," said Cpt. Justin Smith the Casper Fire Prevention Officer.
With winter coming the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning increases.
"Your homes are usually closed off. Your windows are closed so you don't have an exchange of air from outside," said John Drinnon the Natrona County Health Department Environmental Health Director.
Officials are urging people to make sure that your home is safe this winter from this invisible threat.
"It's important that we make sure that we have our water heaters, furnaces, things of that nature checked to make sure they are operating appropriately," said Smith.
"Anybody with a gas fired appliance in their home that including furnaces, stoves, hot water heaters, should have carbon monoxide detectors," said Drinnon.
Both officials say these detectors at your local hardware store can save lives.
"Over 500 unintentional carbon monoxide deaths in America annually," said Drinnon.
The problem is seen here in Casper as well. Since 2006 Casper Fire and EMS have responded to over one hundred calls.
"This time of the year when its starts to get cold and we're using heating appliances more so carbon monoxide is going to be trapped within the home," said Smith.
Being safe around your car is also important.
"If you have a remote starter on your vehicle don't start your car in advance in a closed garage," said Drinnon.
Even if you do have carbon monoxide detectors within your home, it's best to check them out too.
"Carbon monoxide detectors are just like smoke detectors they wear out after several years," said Smith.
Symptoms are often overlooked, so it's best to go to your doctor and get your home checked out if you are concerned, in the end it could save your life.
"They get rosy cheeks, feel sick to their stomach, they are light headed, because they are like flu symptoms they sometimes get overlooked," said Smith.
REPORTED BY CODY O'HARA